Roast Pork and Easy Oven Risotto
Updated: Nov 2, 2022
A delicious meal that's done in the oven and ready in less than an hour, for under $3/serving.
This Pork Roast was $4.52 at wildforkfoods.com and serves 4. The risotto is courtesy of Ina Garten, who advocates starting with rice and stock for 45 minutes in the oven and a few minutes stirring all other ingredients at the end. The difference here? We'll make a risotto with arborio rice, parmesan cheese, white wine and chicken stock for under $7.50, which serves for 4-6.
A succulent juicy pork roast, with creamy risotto, in under an hour under $12.
Roast Pork with Risotto
Section 1: Ingredients and Cost ($11.67, serves 4)
1 to 1.5-pound pork loin or tenderloin roast ($4.52 at wildforkfoods.com)
1 ½ cup Arborio rice (Walmart - $1.80)
5 c. chicken stock, homemade or canned ($1.75 Sam's Club)
1/2 c. dry white wine ($0.70 - purchase mini bottle of Sauvignon Blanc at Publix)
3 T. unsalted butter, diced ($0.40, Aldi or Sam's Club)
1 cup Parmesan cheese (Aldi, about 4 oz., $2)
2 t. salt
1 t. pepper
1 cup frozen peas (Aldi, $0.50)
Section 2: Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put 1.5 c. rice and 4 c. chicken stock in a Dutch oven or oven safe pot with a tight lid. Place in oven for 45 minutes.
2. While your rice is cooking, sear your pork roast in an oven safe pan on top the stove with a small amount of oil. Put the entire pan in the 350-degree oven next to the risotto. Note: The Roast I selected is pre-seasoned. If your roast is not, season with salt and pepper, or your favorite seasonings, prior to searing the roast.
3. Allow your pork to roast for about 20 minutes, until a thermometer reads 140 degrees. Remove the roast from the oven and tent with aluminum foil. Your thermometer should read 145 with 5-10 minutes. Leave the risotto in the oven for a full 45 minutes.
4. Prepare 1 c. grated Parmesan cheese, and get the 1 c. stock, 1/2 c. wine, 3 T. butter, salt, pepper and frozen peas together and handy. Take the risotto out of the oven and begin stirring, Stir in all the ingredients. Your risotto will have the creamy consistency of a risotto cooked on top the stove. Use a little more stock if its dry. Keep stirring if it's a little runny—I've never had this not turn out.
5. At this point, you can slice your roast. Serve with green beans or whatever vegetable you like.
6. This roast also pairs perfectly with mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy.